LIFE CYCLE OF THE BUTTERFLY
The Life Cycle of a Butterfly can be seen in the illustration below.
- The adult female butterfly that has mated lays fertile eggs on the food plant.
- The egg hatches into a larva (caterpillar).
- The caterpillar eats and grows a tremendous amount.
- The caterpillar attaches itself to a twig and forms a hard outer shell called a chrysalis.
- Inside the pupa (chrysalis), the caterpillar changes into a butterfly.
- A fully grown butterfly eventually emerges from the pupa and the cycle begins again.